Monday, June 28, 2010

Swimming lessons

Well the kids started swim lessons.  Amanda was very apprehensive.  She had had swim lessons 2 years ago and that didn't go so well.  Picture a 3 year old sitting on the diving board refusing to jump surrounded by life guards trying to convince her to jump and you might get the picture.  Also picture my 3 year old insisting she did not want to get dunked when they played ring around the rosie and the life guard dunking her anyway.  Well lets say my daughter reacted very badly and slapped the life guard.  I was not very proud and we didn't have her do swim lessons last year because of it.  It was a few weeks before she would enjoy going in Grandpa's pool. So last year Amanda sat out and JD continued with his swim lessons and Amanda sat out with me and waited.  This year when I went to sign JD up the person in charge assured us that they would let the teacher know that Amanda had a fear of putting her face in the water and they wouldn't dunk her until she was ready.  Amanda wanted to try again.  I was anxious for her to have a positive swim lesson experience so I signed her up and listened to her all weekend reminding me to remind the woman in charge that they said she didn't have to put her face in the Water. 
Today I must admit Amanda did great.  She even blew bubbles in the water.  She is fine if she doesn't put her eyes in the water.  I don't know if that is just her or part of the SPD.
You might think I have only 1 child that I worry about but that isn't true I have 2  children.  JD is my first born and a great kid.  I am his mom so I will just say it he is very smart and has a lot of talent.  He is at the point in his swimming lessons where he is actually learning to swim and he does so well.  He just needs to learn to float on his back to go to the next level.  I try not to push to hard because he pushes himself hard enough.  He tends to want to be perfect which means he sometimes gives up too soon when something is hard.  I did great with his swim lesson but something is bothering him.  He tends to keep things inside just like me and I don't know what it is yet.  I think part of it is his friend is in the next level up and he isn't.  I know he wants to move up.  JD also mentioned that he has to "breath" underwater.  I think he means that he has to go under to blow bubbles but he did that in level 1 swimming so I know he can but I think he is worried.  I want him to have fun.  He loved swim lessons in the past so I hope today was just a fluke.

No comments:

Post a Comment